2011-10-28: Fall 2011

Fall 2011 Meeting
CSU Long Beach – Friday, October 28, 2011

Present in person: Greg Bohr (SLO), Stafford Cox (Long Beach), Matt Jarvis (Fullerton), John Korey (at large, non-voting [see bylaws, Article IV, section 1]), John Menary (Dominguez Hills), Josh Meisel (Humboldt, chair), Jose Moreno (Long Beach), Ed Nelson (Fresno), Gene Turner (Northridge)

Present via Elluminate: Ellen Bates (San Marcos), Rhonda Dugan (Bakersfield), Tia Hilmer (San Diego),  Ali Modarres (Los Angeles), Francis Neely (San Francisco)

Guest: Donald Para (Provost, Long Beach)

1.  Introductions and welcome.  Members introduced themselves.  Provost Donald Para welcomed the Council to the Long Beach campus.  The Council thanked the provost and his office for hosting the meeting and for providing breakfast and lunch.

2.  Approval of agenda m/s/p.

3.  Approval of minutes of Spring 2011 meeting: m/s/p.

4.  Roster updates.  John K had sent out a copy of the roster asking for updates and corrections, and will send out a revised version this coming week.

5.  SSRIC representative appointment and eligibility.  The sense of the Council is that these matters are best left to each individual campus, although the Council may need to be more proactive in helping campuses identify those who might like to serve.  In general, it’s a good idea for campuses to have two representatives.  One of these representatives should be designated as the campus’s ICPSR Official Representative (OR), the other as Designated Representative (DR).

6.  Email list.  Each representative should be able to log in and manage the “long list” of interested faculty on his/her campus by going to http://www.ssric.org/council.  Anyone having trouble doing so should contact Michael Harper at the email address on that page.

7.  New at ssric.org. 

8.  Student Research Conference Planning.  Ali reported on plans for this year’s Student Research Conference at Cal State Los Angeles.  Ideas were discussed for keynote speaker.  Selection of the speaker will be at Ali’s discretion, as will the number of concurrent sessions.  A few suggestions were offered: try to arrange the schedule to agree with class modules in order to insure audiences for the presentations; try to arrange for a photographer to be present; tie the Conference in to the celebration of the SSRIC’s 40th anniversary (see below).  Ali was also asked to look into the possibility of holding an experimental session over the Web or via teleconference together with a northern campus, with Humboldt State as a possible location.  Note: since the CSU’s Student Research Competition will take place on May 4 and 5 at Long Beach, it might be a good idea to more the SRC to Thursday, May 3.

9.  Andrew's report: The website’s Content Management System was recently upgraded.  Andrew has been in discussion with Ed and John regarding screencasts to disseminate workshop materials (see below).  Regarding the SPSS license, Andrew noted that limits on the number of concurrent users are not inherent in the current licensing model, but rather depend more on local campus technology, which varies considerably.  A common infrastructure is probably about three years away.  The CSU will likely stay with a systemwide site license rather than campus licenses, as the latter would be much more expensive.  .

10. ICPSR council report.  Lori was not able to attend the meeting, but she sent a report of meeting highlights (attached).

11.  ICPSR OR meeting .  Ed attended sessions that discussed instructional tools.  He put together the following list of links, most of them based on those sessions:





12. Utilization report.  Statistics were reviewed and ways of increasing utilization discussed.

13.  Campus membership status:  Except for the Maritime Academy, all CSU campuses have renewed  membership in the SSRIC.

14.  SSRIC budget (attached).  Note that CO’s share of budget has been declining.

15.  SPSS position paper.  Greg will be sending out another iteration based on the feedback he received.

16.  Expanding visibility of SSRIC.  Various ideas were discussed.  In addition to what we are already doing (talking to colleagues, workshops. etc.), what about: use of social media, use of faculty mentors and faculty development centers  to familiarize new faculty with our resources, a competition to send a student to a conference e.g., southwest social science association, doing more to publicize our work at disciplinary conferences, submitting stories to newsletters, publicizing out activities at the CSU Student Research Competition, preparing a  short brochure, asking campus websites to add a link to our site.   Rhonda and Josh were asked to prepare a document on this topic to be sent to Council representatives.

17.  40th anniversary celebration  We should hold a celebration in conjunction with the Spring meeting/Student Research Conference.  Gerry Hanley and Beth Ambos should be invited, and past representatives asked to come to dinner and talk about what the Council has meant.  A letter should be sent out to current and past members asking them to submit any relevant photos or other archival material.  Ed and John K will take the lead on this project.  There is already an incomplete list of past members at http://www.ssric.org/node/8#reps.  Additions and corrections should be sent to John K, along with current email addresses where available.  He will also revise and expand the history of the Council prepared a few years ago by Liz Nelson (see http://www.ssric.org/front_page: scroll down to “The History of the SSRIC”).

18.  Fresca: https://fresca.calstate.edu/login.  Can we increase our visibility using this social network? 

19.  Consortium of Social Science Research Centers – CASSRC : now has a website.  http://www.calstate.edu/cassrc/. Meets once a year.

20.  Workshops:  Ideas for online workshop materials were discussed.  A couple of sample PowerPoint videos  are available at http://www.ssric.org/node/402.  We should not reinvent the wheel, but should 1) link to the best existing resources and 2) identifying gaps that we can fill.  Ed and John K will work on this.  Ed will also send out an email soliciting requests for traditional workshops.

21.  Field Faculty Fellowship.  See http://www.ssric.org/participate/field_institute.  Except for the non-voting chair (Ed) selection committee members may not be current Council members nor from the same campus as anyone submitting a proposal.

Recorded by: John Korey