This book is intended for those who want to learn the basics of SPSS. It can be used as a text in a class or by those working independently. Each chapter has instructions that guide you through a series of problems, as well as graphics showing you what your screen should look like at various steps in the process. There are also exercises at the end of each chapter for further practice. More exercises and teaching modules are on the Teaching Resources page of the Social Science Research and Instructional Center (SSRIC) website.
There are several options for obtaining SPSS. It can be purchased for $99 monthly. There are two less expensive options for students and faculty. A faculty pack is available for $260 annually and a GradPack (for students) is available for anywhere between $39.95 and $89 for a period of six or twelve months. For more information on purchasing SPSS, click here .
For this edition, Nelson is the principal author of chapters 2-6, and 10. Korey is the principal author of chapters 7-9. Nelson and Korey are the joint co-authors of Chapter 1. Contributors to previous editions have also included Nan Chico (CSU East Bay), Linda Fiddler (Bakersfield), Laura Hecht (CSU Bakersfield), Elizabeth Nelson (CSU Fresno), James Ross (CSU Bakersfield), and Richard A. Shaffer (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo).
© The Authors, 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022; Last Modified July, 2022.
- A subset of the 2021 General Social Survey (GSS21A.sav) . The GSS dataset was weighted by the variable (wtss) that is provided by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago.
- A data set (Countries.sav) describing countries (using information taken mostly from the CIA World Factbook).
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chapter 1: A Brief Introduction to SPSS
- Chapter 2: Creating, Saving and Opening Data Files
- Chapter 3: Transforming Data
- Chapter 4: Univariate Statistics
- Chapter 5: Cross Tabulations
- Chapter 6: Comparing Means
- Chapter 7: Correlation and Regression
- Chapter 8: Multivariate Analysis
- Chapter 9: Presenting Your Data
- Chapter 10: Writing Research Reports
- Appendices – Codebooks
Updated: September 2022